What are the benefits of coconut oil for hair?
A great natural conditioner, coconut oil is excellent at adding and locking in moisture to your hair. Absorbing quickly into the hair, this moisture boost strengthens your hair and prevents breakage. Speaking of all that good moisture, it’s also ideal to use a scalp treatment to treat dandruff and dry, flaky scalps.
Is coconut oil bad for your hair?
No! Coconut oil is a natural oil and won’t cause any damage to your hair. Instead, it will leave it moisturised and it will treat dry ends and frizz, leaving you with shinier hair. The only possible negative to using coconut oil on your hair is it can cause clogged pores or spots around your hairline if you leave it on for too long or if you don’t wash it out of your hair properly. Other than that, it’s nothing but good vibes.
Can you use coconut oil for hair growth?
While coconut oil doesn’t directly stimulate hair growth, it can help to strengthen your hair by giving it essential moisture. Nourishing the hair follicles, this can also be a natural remedy to prevent hair loss.
Tips for using coconut oil in hair care
Want to know how to make coconut oil a part of your hair routine? Read on for our top tips:
● Don't microwave the oil when melting it as this can burn your hair and cause the damage we’re trying to avoid. Instead, rub the oil between your palms to warm it up and liquify it.
● Apply the oil to your scalp and massage it gently into your hair.
● Rinse off the oil with cold water and shampoo.
● Make a blend and add some essential oils to your coconut oil to make it feel like an indulgent treatment.
● Don't use too much! Apply bit by bit, making sure your strands are fully coated.
● Give it time to soak in. Apply before bed and sleep in it.
Ways to use coconut oil for super soft hair
There’s a plethora of ways to use coconut oil to give your hair the love and moisture it deserves. Here are some of our faves:
1. Apply coconut oil directly to your split ends to give them a focussed treatment.
2. Rub it on your scalp to stimulate hair growth. Tip: get our Scalp Exfoliator & Massager in on the action to make it an even better experience.
3. Mix coconut oil with olive oil to make a luxurious conditioner.
4. Add coconut oil to your shampoo to prevent dandruff.
5. Make a delicious hair mask out of coconut oil and honey.
6. Put coconut oil in your hair at night to protect against breakage.
How to use coconut oil as an overnight treatment
One of the most effective ways to use coconut oil is as an overnight deep conditioning treatment. Giving your hair hours to soak up all that nutrition is the goal. Here’s how:
1. Warm up and liquify the raw coconut oil between your palms, start applying it to dry hair and carefully brush through, making sure every strand is coated. When brushing, start from the bottom of your hair and work your way up to the root. Our Wet Detangler is the dream product for this step!
2. Wrap your hair tightly in a showercap, old scarf, t-shirt or towel.
3. Sweet dreams! Sleep while your hair drinks it all up.
4. Shampoo out the next day. You may need to shampoo twice to make sure it’s all rinsed out - we’re not going for a greasy look!
5. Complete the rest of your hair care routine.
How to use coconut oil as a hair mask
It’s no secret - we love a hair mask! And coconut oil is a super cheap and easy option. Here’s how we do it:
1. Before washing your hair, apply the coconut oil as a pre-shampoo treatment.
2. Let it sit on your hair for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
4. Rinse hair thoroughly to make sure it’s all out.
5. Apply a small amount of coconut oil again as a final step to lock in that moisture.
This is your sign to run, not walk, to grab your nearest jar of coconut oil and give your hair what it’s craving. Whether you’re going to sleep in it or use it as a scalp treatment, your hair will thank you.