What is a scalp massage?
A scalp massage is a mixture of relaxation and exfoliation in one. They can often be forgotten when it comes to self-care routines, but we think they’re a golden essential! They don’t have to take up all of your time, you’re the one in charge. You can decide how you massage your scalp, for how long and how often, but one thing’s for sure - you won’t regret it once you start. Once you’ve decided the motion, pressure and how long you want to indulge in a scalp massage, you’ll start to see the benefits for your hair and mental wellbeing that comes with them.
What are the benefits of a scalp massage?
The question really should be, what aren’t the benefits of a scalp massage, but here’s our top 5:
1) Reduce muscle tension: in your day to day life, your brain does not stop working until you’re asleep so naturally, the muscles in your head will become tense as the day goes on. A scalp massage helps to reduce that tension as it encourages the muscles to release themselves, leaving you to unwind and feel relaxed. Even if there are some days that you don’t feel particularly tense, there’s a chance your muscles will still be working overtime and will need to be released.
2) Hair Growth Promotion: a healthy head of hair is only as good as the scalp it grows from. You wouldn’t expect a plant to grow in a pot of dust, void of all nutrition, would you? Just like plants require nutritious, rich soil, our head needs a healthy, clean, stress-free environment to grow. Enter scalp massages. Some people mistakenly think our hair grows from the ends of the strands, but it actually grows from the root, so scalp massages can really help open up our roots and promote that luscious hair growth we all want.
3) Natural Remedy for Migraines and Headaches: if you suffer from headaches and migraines, this can often be caused by the hairstyles you wear. While a sleek, pulled-back pony a la Ms. Grande looks fabulous, there’s no denying that sweet relief you get when you release it at the end of the day. If you find yourself in that situation, it’s the perfect time for a scalp massage. A natural remedy for migraines and headaches, it’s the perfect trick to have up your sleeve when there’s no paracetamol around - you’ll be surprised at how effective it is. Taking the time to massage your scalp increases blood flow whilst reducing tension. You’re literally massaging the pain away!
4) Improves mood and promotes calmness: we all need a little calm every now and again and a scalp massage provides us with just that. Scalp massages are a popular technique to improve our mood and instil a level of calm within us because they can reduce tension and circulate blood flow. It is like going to a spa but quicker (and cheaper!) or even like a meditation session. Centre yourself ease into calmness by taking that time to massage your scalp.
5) Reduces build up of dead skin and product: remember we said a healthy head of hair is only as good as the scalp it grows from? Let us elaborate. Not only does the environment need to be stress-free for optimum hair growth, it also needs to be clean! While it’s not the nicest thing to think about, dead skin cells and products build up on your scalp, suffocating the hair follicles. Anything from shampoo and conditioner, to dry shampoo and heat protection creams or sprays can build up at the scalp and it needs to be scrubbed away so your scalp can breathe again. A scalp massage works as a great exfoliation technique to reduce this, leaving a clean base for those follicles to do their thing!
How often should a scalp massage be completed?
It’s totally up to you! If your main aim is relaxation or to improve your mental wellbeing, the ball is in your court and you can do it as little or as often as you like, but we would suggest once a week. If your focus is to promote hair growth, it’s all about the daily massage. Once you experience how good they feel, we’re sure that you’ll be wanting to do them every day anyway. A good starting point is introducing a scalp massage to your hair wash routine and go from there. Enjoy the process!
What tools to use for your scalp massage?
Hands do the job, but if you want it to feel better and more luxurious, speed up the process and avoid hand cramp, it’s all about finding a good scalp massager. Scalp brush. Exfoliation brush. Massage brush. Whatever you want to call it. Our Scalp Exfoliator and Massager has a unique winged design making it super easy to hold and navigate, whether you’re using it on wet or dry hair. Use it to brush around your scalp, releasing all that tension while getting rid of all that build up.
Along with a good scalp brush, we recommend oils. Liquid gold for the hair, we’ve already told you everything you need to know about hair oils, but did you know that they’ll also level up your scalp massage? Oils have an endless list of benefits; softening our hair, encouraging hair growth, protecting the scalp and reducing dandruff, to name a few. A scalp massage fan favourite is castor oil, thanks to its hair-growing credentials and when you’re using it, you’re treating your hair follicles as well as improving your scalp health. And it feels so good.
How to massage your scalp?
There are different techniques and ways to massage our scalps. We've already spoken about using a brush and oils, but a common, simple way is to use your fingertips. In circular motions with light pressure, massage the scalp. If you like a firm pressure, press a little bit harder or if you like it softer, go gently. But remember, a scalp brush does all the hard work for you - winner! Whether you’re using your finger tips or a brush, oils will make all the difference as it allows your tool of choice to slide through your hair with ease. Find the oil that works best for you and your goals and get started. The easiest way to massage your scalp is when you’re washing your hair. It saves time and makes it part of routine which means you’re more likely to stick at it and reap the rewards. Scalp brush at the ready!
After all this massage talk, we’re sure you’re keen to sit back, relax and get started. It’s so easy to forget and neglect your scalp but don’t forget that your glossy locks are only as good as the foundation they’re growing from. We hope you now understand how many benefits come with scalp massages - a clean, clear scalp and your best hair is on its way!